Community Outreach Coordinator (Part-time, Self-advocate)
The Arc - Jefferson, Clear Creek & Gilpin Counties has a PART-TIME POSITION
FOR A SELF-ADVOCATE (person with intellectual/developmental disabilities who advocates for the needs of others as well as his/herself):
COMMUNITY OUTREACH COORDINATOR
We are looking for a self-advocate to work 15-20 hours per week at $12.00 per hour. This position will report to the Community Outreach Manager. We need someone who:
- Is an outgoing “people person”
- Wants to be a representative voice for people with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Speaks well in front of groups
- Wants to learn job skills
THE COMMUNITY OUTREACH COORDINATOR WILL WORK 15-20 HOURS/WEEK AT $12 PER HOUR AND WILL:
- Be a representative voice for people with I/DD in our community.
- Support the self-advocacy movement by participating in self-advocacy groups and activities.
- Speak to community groups, municipalities, and local businesses about the needs and talents of people with I/DD, how important self-determination is, and how it affects people’s lives.
- Serve on committees, councils, etc. to represent The Arc and communicate the ability of people with I/DD to contribute to their community.
- Help create meaningful workshops and other education opportunities for people with I/DD.
- Participate with other staff in trainings for members of law enforcement and others to help them learn to interact more effectively with people with I/DD
- Write or help write articles for Arc publications.
- Help bring more self-advocates to Arc trainings, activities, events, etc.
- Represent The Arc at community outreach events.
- Provide some administrative support.
- Report to, and work closely with, the Community Outreach Manager.
- Participate in The Arc’s Strategic Planning and annual Operational Planning along with the Community Outreach Manager
- Be an active member of The Arc’s staff team, participating in staff meetings and other staff activities
- Are outgoing and love connecting with people of all different abilities
- Are comfortable speaking to new people and in front of groups.
- Have reliable transportation to and from work and work events.
- Have basic computer skills, including some experience with Microsoft Word and Excel, and the ability to search for information on the Internet.
- Can work well independently and also as part of a team.
- Have good communication skills using email, voice mail, and in person.
- Can handle multiple projects at the same time and meet deadlines.
- Want to learn job skills.
TO APPLY FOR THE JOB:
You must submit an application. Click here to download application. You may also ask for an application by phone or email from Valerie Smith at (303) 232-1338 or email@example.com.
All applications must be received by Friday, June 8th at 5:00 PM.
Completed applications can be sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, by fax to (303) 232-9370, or by mail to: The Arc - JCCG, 13949 W Colfax Ave, Bldg 1, Suite 150, Lakewood, CO 80401. You may also submit a resume and/or cover letter with your application.
The most qualified applicants will be contacted to schedule in-person interviews. There will be two rounds of interviews and the person chosen as Community Outreach Coordinator will ideally start work in August 2018. If you have questions about this job, please contact Valerie at email@example.com or (303) 232-1338.